We have an exciting opportunity for a qualified or part qualified Chartered Surveyor to join the Punch team on a 6-9 month fixed term contract. This role is to cover maternity leave, reporting into the Head of Legal & Compliance in a field-based role within the South East region.
Well respected and recognised within the business for professional status, the Commercial Estates Manager (CEM) will play a key role at the heart of the leased business model managing a key income stream for the group via the rent-roll in managing all scheduled rent reviews and agreement expiries within the region. The CEM will be required to work closely with operations, as well as additional field support teams, to drive income and explore opportunities for growth through investment, development and potential acquisition work.
The role of the CEM is vital in helping Punch to build our reputation as the most trusted and best value pub company. The role will primarily be responsible for rental management of a regional pub portfolio as well as wider estate management matters. Rent responsibility will include completion of all valuations, negotiations and settlement of rent reviews and lease renewals. The CEM will also be involved with rental values for new lets, proposed investments, handling any dispute resolution cases as well as opportunities to lead wider teams in regard to Compliance, developments, potential acquisition work and general estate management.
Business Success – Commercially minded; we deliver outstanding results for Punch and our stakeholders.
* Reporting into the Head of Compliance & Legal and ensuring compliance with legislative requirements including Pubs Code etc.
* Oversee the daily management of the regional rent roll and valuation function. Providing accurate, timely and pragmatic advice to support the Company’s business and commercial objectives.
* Maintain own caseload of rent events and associated targets.
* Active rental management including: Inspection, Valuation, Negotiation and Settlement.
* Timeline management/prioritisation of Lease Renewal/Rent Reviews (including head leases) and management of associated legal notices/documents.
* Providing professional advice in relation to the Landlord and Tenant Act, Pubs Code and estate management in general.
* Understanding and collation of a local market comparable database/knowledge.
* Profit and Rent forecasting with line manager and wider business.
* Negotiations regarding potential commercial development and/or acquisition opportunities.
Energy & Enthusiasm – Passionate about innovation and operational excellence; we all deliver our commitments
* Action/escalate rent reviews and lease renewals in a professional, timely manner.
* Ensure compliance with all legal regulations and statutory obligations.
* Build strong, sustainable relationships both internally and in the wider industry.
* Provide insight and education to Publicans, Senior Managers and colleagues in professionalism and operational standards.
* Manage and report on any legal and rent issues, opportunities and development in a timely manner.
* Ensure all reports and statements are delivered in a professional and timely manner.
* Ensure awareness of any legal updates/regulatory changes and the associated impact.
* Actively identify and explore opportunities for growth including investment, development and potential acquisition.
Service & Hospitality – Publicans are our customers; together we deliver awesome consumer experiences in a new and digital world
* Actively lead the rental process including: Valuation, Negotiation and Settlement.
* Research, prepare and present briefings to colleagues and senior management on relevant legal and rent issues.
* Escalate protracted rent events in a timely manner and ensuring overdues are minimised.
* Ensure professional practice is implemented when dealing with Publicans and Consumers.
* Build strong professional relationships with industry associates and networking groups to maximise opportunities for engagement.
* Pre-empt issues or problems which are likely to occur and assist in implementing solutions.
* Managing and maintaining key relationships with solicitors, agents and surveyors.
* Managing expectations and wider business resources to enable efficient ways of working.
Teamwork – People understand their role; working collaboratively to deliver outstanding support and customer service
* Oversee regional formulation, planning and implementation of an effective rent and Pubs Code strategy.
* Work with colleagues to provide creative solutions to aid resolution of stuck rent reviews and lease renewals.
* Provide expert insight, guidance and support to colleagues and Publicans in all matters of legal, rent, Pubs Code and compliance.
* Train and coach operators on property and rental valuations ensuring adherence to legal guidelines.
* Providing updates and reports to the key stakeholders in the business including Operations, Finance, and Property.
* Training and coaching of Operations teams and wider support functions to include briefings on commercial estate management and valuation.
* Head of Compliance & Legal
* Legal & Estates Director
* Regional Operations Director
* Partnership Development Managers
* Legal & Estates Team
* Solicitors, e.g. TLT, Ford & Warren
* Professional/Valuation Property Agents
* Asset Management/Development Agents
* In excess of five years’ experience in a customer facing multi-site management role
* Sound Commercial and Business Acumen/Experience
* MRICS Part Qualified or Qualified
* Experience of utilising profits method valuation (desirable)
* Competent Negotiator
* Computer literate – intermediate in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Power Point and advanced Excel
* Up-to-date knowledge of statutory obligations and Pubs Code (desirable)
* Working knowledge of landlord / tenant legislation
* Experienced budget holder (desirable)
* Education to degree level (desirable)
* Active role/experience in commercial estate management/development
* Full GB Driving Licence